Preview the training here!
This Intensive Medical Interpreter Training Package consists of 40 hours of training and it is a self-paced online course. It combines several of our on-demand healthcare interpreting and interpreter ethics courses and features additional introductory courses as well as deep practice exercises. This package is designed to prepare you for interpreting in the healthcare industry. It uses the latest and most effective interactive techniques, and provides an opportunity to learn and practice the most effective models for the interpreting process, advanced ethical decision making, memory and note taking, medical terminology, cross-cultural interpreting, and navigation of the US health care system.
This program is non-language specific and is open to all bilingual students who meet the prerequisites. Each unit has been designed by a team of qualified and experienced interpreter trainers specialized in the skills and knowledge taught in that unit and all content is presented in English.
This training has been pre-approved as PINRA for 4.0 RID CEUs and 4.0 BEI M./I. CEUs (.7 Ethics).
This program meets the pre-certification requirement for healthcare interpreters, it is nationally accredited for 40.00 instructional hours by CCHI.
Prerequisites for Medical Interpreter Training:
- At least 18 years-old
- A minimum of a high school diploma or equivalent
- Must demonstrate proficiency in English and another language by one of the following:
- 5 years of verified professional experience in the language
- High school diploma, degree, or equivalent from country where the language is spoken
- A validated third-party language assessment (contact us for details)
Included Modules in the Intensive Medical Interpreter Training:
- Special Module: Fundamentals of Interpreting in Healthcare
- Memory and Note Taking
- Anatomy & Physiology for Interpreters
- Intro to Medical Terminology
- All body system units (Musculoskeletal, Nervous & Endocrine, Digestive & Urinary, Reproductive & Integumentary, and Cardiorespiratory & Lymphatic)
- Special collection of Interpreting in the US healthcare system modules (including Mental health, oncology, and hospital documentation)
- Special Collection of Interpreter Ethics Modules
- Additional Interpreting Practice
- BONUS FINAL EXAM: Health Care Interpreter Assessment (HCIA)®
The HCIA® is used as the final exam for the course. This test includes a performance assessment (oral), which is evaluated by qualified professionals who will provide you feedback on how to further improve your practice as a medical interpreter. This is a great preparation tool for certification and a new career as a professional healthcare interpreter.